Wanna Cry Ransomware attack
On Friday 12 May 2017, a really dangerous virus known as WannaCrypt, WannaDecrypt and Wanna Cry recoil in shock most of the countries all over the world. Wanna cry group encrypt your all files like documents, images, videos and many other files and u can’t decrypt them until u pay to wanna cry group for a decryption key.
How does it work?
Wanna cry group encrypt your private files and show a message as ooops all your files have been encrypted, if you want to decrypt them then pay a bitcoin of some worth like $600 or more. They give you a time limit for payment otherwise after time up you lost your files permanently. The European Union Agency for Law Enforcement Cooperation described the attack as unprecedented in scale. You can check their message in given figure below.
What does lawyer+hacker says about it?
Alexander Urbelis is a lawyer and self-described hacker who say that the main reason behind attack is Britain’s NHS to cancel surgeries and to destroy the Russian, Chinese public and private institutions day. How a single piece of malware that identified a long ago by the National Security Agency, and leaked last month by a group called the Shadow Brokers, cause of so much devastation?
Wanna cry targeted Companies
Here is the list of top targeted companies.
- LATAM Airlines Group
- Britain’s NHS
- FedEx Corporation
- Deutsche Bahn AG
- Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria
- Telenor Hungary
- Portugal Telecom
- Petro China
They infect 57000 computers in 99 countries with Ukraine, Russia and Taiwan at the same time.
Target Acquired Microsoft Windows
Wanna cry’s main target is Microsoft Windows Operating system. They infect more than 230, 000 computers in 150 countries with a payment demanding software in the form of bitcoins in 28 languages. If Microsoft upgrades their unsupported versions including Windows Xp and Windows 8 then there’s a chance to bit slow the Wanna crypt attacking speed. Because Wanna cry infect tens of thousands of Windows computers in this week.
Microsoft release a patch on March 2017, for a file-sharing vulnerability in Windows draw back due to which Wanna cry hack many Windows computers all over the world. But some Companies not applied this patch, because Microsoft not provides a patch for older Windows version. But now Microsoft decided to provide a patch for them or upgrade them. Microsoft releases a patch in April due to security reasons. Microsoft releases a patch for free for older windows systems on Saturday. Microsoft also share some step of guidelines how to prevent your windows computer from that kind of dangerous malware. A tech company of US also release a patch for windows users.
Top Targeted countries
- Microsoft widely used in India and Russia, so infected more than countries. IANS reported that 18 police computers units infected in India in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh's Chittoor, Guntur, and Krishna and Srikakulam districts. On Friday night wanna cry infection; five percent computers were infected in India.
- In Russia about 60 percent computers were infected and a hundred of computers in Russian interior ministry.
- In United Kingdom all hospitals lose their access to their patient data.
- In British national health services and several hospitals were infected. But later they report that, they overcome the situation and there was no thread now.
- In Spain wanna cry infected Telefonica.
- Two digital advertising hoardings were infected in Thailand. In Viphawadee area other advertising hoardings were also infected. Thai police inform their all agencies to be avoid downloading files from internet.
- In Germany on railway stations, trains Saturday schedule was infected.
- In Brazil, Brazil’s foreign ministry, oil companies and social security systems had lost their connection to their computers.
- In china some colleges and universities data infected.
Wanna cry Ransomware guideline to stay safe
- Never click on irrelevant link in your Emails
- Avoid opening a harmful websites
- Never click on links that access you to WhatsApp, Facebook or never click on page you do not trust
- Never opens links which you receive from friends until you verify these links from your friends
- Manage your files backup on regularly bases
- your window’s must have last update close the gap
- Use antivirus last update
- If you are windows user the use window’s patch
- If you don’t update your window the turn off the SMP of your computer
- Wanna cry attack unregistered domain so register your domain first.