Black Friday 2017 24th November
Black Friday is the day following #Thanksgiving Day in the United States (the fourth Thursday of November). Since 1952, it has been regarded as the beginning of the #Christmas shopping season in the U.S., and most major retailers open very early (and more recently during overnight hours) and offer promotional sales. Black Friday is not an official holiday, but #California and some other states observe "The Day After Thanksgiving" as a holiday for state government employees
This year it will take place on Friday 24 November 2017, marking the official start date of the consumer rush for bargains in the countdown to Christmas.
A number of major retailers, from Amazon to Currys PC World, are launching deals early, turning the shopping bonanza into a full week-long event. We've rounded up some of the best deals below, or head to these retailers official Black Friday pages to have a look for yourself:
Tech and Electrical deals:
Very.co.uk have slashed the price of selected Beats by Dre in-ear headphones by £40 - making their sale price just £49.99 as part of the brand's early deals.
Save 10% off the 64GB, 10.5 inch Apple iPad Pro in silver - that's £74.90. Or £16.95 (or 5%) off the gold 32GB Apple iPad in Argos' flash sale using the #FLASH20 code at checkout.
Superdrug has exclusively revealed that the Makeup Revolution 12 Days of Christmas Gift and the Ardell Lash Look Book which are exclusive to the retailer will be reduced by up to 65% from Monday 22 November.
In 2017 we're expecting the same fashion brands to take part as they did last year. These previously included Topman, Asos, Matalan and Dorothy Perkins.
Confirmed Deals and Predictions
Okay, so what kind of deals are we likely to see? Some deals are perennial and damn near guaranteed. Amazon will offer hefty discounts on its Fire tablets, Echo speakers, or Kindle ebook readers. Here are some of the deals you'll find on Amazon this Black Friday weekend:
- Starting November 19, Kindle Paperwhite will be $89.99 ($30 off)
- Starting November 23, Amazon Cloud Cam will be $99.99 ($20 off)
- Starting November 23, Echo Plus will be $119.99 ($30 off)
- Starting November 23, Fire 7 will be $29.99 ($20 off)
- Starting November 23, Fire HD 8 will be $49.99 ($30 off)
These retailers have also announced details of their Black Friday sales:
- Best Buy
Laptops are a staple of Black Friday sales. We expect to see budget laptops for as low as $110, and Chromebooks will likely get nice discounts as well.
As for other great deals, let's start with gaming. PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, and Nintendo Switch bundles seem like a safe bet for discounts, and we think controllers are primed for a sale this time of year. The three major VR headsets have already received price cuts this year, but they might just get an extra boost on Black Friday, too.
If you change your mind about something you buy, it’s important that you know where you stand in the eyes of the law.
Here are tips for protecting your cash and exercising your rights:
- Your return rights may be stronger if you shop online - you are legally entitled to a full refund for a non-faulty, online purchase if you change your mind within 14 days of delivery, but this may not be the case if you bought it in store.
- But, be aware of online scams - it’s always best to double-check the domain name of the website you’re buying from and beware of unusual payment methods, like bank transfers.
- Your return rights for non-faulty products may vary from store to store - whilst some stores may choose to offer a full refund for a product you no longer want, others may disappoint consumers by offering a credit note, an exchange or nothing.
- If you’re shopping on the high street, make sure you check the individual return policy at the till.
- Not all products will be cheapest on Black Friday itself - only 8% of the Black Friday deals checked last year were actually the lowest prices.